Friday 24 April 2009

If you're not fast, you're last.....

It can be a bit of a battle finding good German wine. So I was taken aback by this little temptress in Springburn's Tesco. Even better, it was reduced to clear. I grabbed the eight remaining bottles but immediately felt greedy so put two back "for someone else". 
God knows who, but then I wondered the same thing about the Taylors 1977 Vintage port they were selling for £99. It sat on the shelf for over a year. I kept my beady eye on it, eventually it went down to £79. But I gambled on another reduction and someone scarfed the lot during a 'buy 6 get 20% off' sale. Gutting.
I got home and tried a bottle of my new bargain. It was seriously delicious. A beautiful piercing bouquet of spring flowers, mango, papaya and a lovely flavour like the juice from tinned mandarins. Acidity just about balanced the intense sweetness... and all this in a 7% vol. wine. Incredible. Should've scarfed the lot!

Leitz, Rudesheimer Kirchenpfad, 
Rheingau
Riesling Auslese 2004
Tesco: down from £11.99 to £5.99

No comments:

Post a Comment