Saturday 21 March 2009

A Farewell To Wines

Have you noticed that the older you get the less people "drop by" unannounced? It used to happen to me all the time, all my friends did it to each other. Nowadays texts, emails and diary checks are needed just to drop off a book.
There is, however, one glorious exception. Occasionally friends still do drop in unannounced. Or, more cunningly, suggest going for a pint at the pub next door...... thirty minutes before closing time. Somehow, and I don't know how, these impromptu visits always happen just after I've taken delivery of a case of wine. Are they getting tip offs from the delivery man? I'm not complaining, it's good fun, I just wish someone would drop a few tip offs my way too!

Despite last month's gripe (Wine Society Price Hike) I decided that tough times were no times for grudges. So, to do my bit for the recession effort, I bought a case of the Society's own label reds. Isn't it funny, spending money we didn't have got us into this mess in the first place, and now we're told, the only way to get out of it is to spend all the money we do have? 
Anyway, it seems like only yesterday it turned up, pristine and packed to the gunnels with shiny new bottles all clamoring to be first out of their little trenches. Oh, you should have seen them! Eager beavers from across the globe- Chilean Merlot, Chianti Ruffini, Claret, Beaujolais Villages and a Spicy Australian. This is, after all, a world recession.
Alas, there is no mercy on the front line, doodlebug like, the buzzer kept sounding. Too soon they were gone, cut down in their prime, they shall never grow old.
All served with honour, but medals for the Chianti and the Australian. A mention in dispatches for the Beaujolias.

No comments:

Post a Comment